The Wahoo KICKR Snap is fully compatible with The Sufferfest app in both ERG and standard modes.
- Before going any further: Make sure you have the most current firmware installed on the trainer. You can use the Wahoo Fitness Utility to check and update the KICKR's firmware. In the Wahoo Fitness Utility you can see your current firmware version and then validate it with Wahoo's 1st Gen KICKR Firmware or 2nd Gen KICKR Firmware.
- Then make sure your KICKR Snap is connected to the App. Head on over to our tutorial "Starting your First Workout" to get it connected.
- Then do a spin down test. Spin Down tests need to be done with the Wahoo Utility App. The accuracy of the KICKR Snap can be affected by both temperature and barometric pressure. Performing a spin down will help ensure that your KICKR Snap is properly calibrated. It only needs to be completed once, then every few months, you can do the single spin down using the same app. We also recommend you do your spin down test the same way each time. This will create consistency in your power readings.
Below are common problems that users have connecting KICKR Snaps. Click on the problem that you are having to go into that troubleshooting article.
- ANT+ Dongle Not Being Detected or no FE-C trainer?
- ERG Mode Not Working For You?
- Sensors Keep Dropping Out/Losing Connection?
- Speed and Distance Calculations are off?
CONNECTING THE SNAP TO THE SUFFERFEST APP
ERG and Resistance Mode
The Wahoo KICKR Snap can connect to The Sufferfest Training Centre app using either ERG ("AAARGH!") mode or Standard mode. We only recommend using the Wahoo Fitness App for completing a Spin Down. The accuracy of power meters can be affected by both temperature and barometric pressure. Performing a spin down periodically will help ensure that your KICKR is properly calibrated.
We recommend at least a 5 minute warm up (unless you do Wahoo's advanced spin down) on the KICKR Snap before you do a spin down test for the most accurate power readings. We also recommend you do your spin down test the same way each time. This will create consistency in your power readings.
The image below shows you where the advanced spin down option is located for the KICKR Snap.
In The Sufferfest Training Centre you can select the Wahoo KICKR Snap for Bluetooth connections on the iOS and Mac App. The Windows App can only communicate through ANT+, so you will need an ANT+ Dongle.
ERG mode will control the KICKR's resistance and Standard Mode will run the KICKR in slope mode just like a standard fluid trainer. Standard mode is useful when completing the fitness test video, "Rubber Glove", which is used to help you determine your Functional Threshold Power (FTP) and Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR).
Watch out for the KICKR Snap Black Hole
There are a few things we need to talk about when using the KICKR Snap. The KICKR Snap adjust resistance according to the speed of the flywheel. If your Sufferlandrian legs begin to fail, and your cadence slows, expect the KICKR Snap to ramp up resistance. We refer to this as the "KICKR Snap Black Hole". Once it begins to suck you in, it is hard to escape (Just like couchlandrian furniture!). We suggest back pedaling for ten seconds while the KICKR Snap slows and resets. This will give your legs the quick break they need and allow you to finish the Sufferlandrian interval that Grunter Von Agony has set for you. If you are finding that you are constantly hitting the "KICKR Snap Black Hole", you may need more rest or you are due for another FTP test.