One of the benefits of The Sufferfest app is the seamless integration of power, cadence, speed, and heart rate data, allowing you to train smarter and maximise your Return on Suffering. In order to take advantage of this functionality, you need to ensure that sensor is compatible. There are two types of low-energy wireless communication protocols commonly used by sensors to send information:
- Bluetooth Smart (also called Bluetooth LE or BLE).
Some sensors transmit simultaneously over both protocols, making it easier to connect to a wide variety of devices. Unfortunately, some manufacturers opt not to use these open standards, choosing instead to design their sensors to work only with their own software. In these cases, your sensor may not be compatible with The Sufferfest app. Chalk one up for the Couchlandrians.
If you don't see your sensor listed below, there may still be hope. Email TheMinions@TheSufferfest.com with the make and model of your sensor, being sure to include as much detailed information as possible. There is a chance that it is compatible with The Sufferfest app but we got distracted by a knot of escaped Sufferlandrian painsuckers while compiling this list. You can also contact the manufacturer of your sensor and ask them if they transmit their ANT+ or Bluetooth Smart signal for third party app use.
Below is a list of the types of sensors we support:
For a list of power meters currently supported by The Sufferfest app, click HERE.
We support all Garmin Sensors. Garmin sensors transmit data through an open ANT+ channel. You will need an ANT+ dongle or USB stick to connect your Garmin Devices. For more information on connecting and troubleshooting ANT+ devices, see our Connecting ANT+ Devices guide.
- Garmin GSC-10
- Garmin Speed Sensor
- Garmin Cadence Sensor
- Garmin Heart Rate Strap
- Garmin Vector Power Meter (currently Vector 2S is not supported)
We support all Wahoo Fitness Products. Wahoo transmits across both ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart on open channels that easily accessible with The Sufferfest app.
- Wahoo TICKR HR monitor
- Wahoo TICKR Run HR Monitor
- Wahoo TICKR X HR Monitor (Cadence Not Compatible with OS X on Bluetooth)
- Wahoo BLUE SC Speed and Cadence Sensor (Cadence Not Compatible with OS X on Bluetooth)
- Wahoo RPM Cadence Sensor (Cadence Not Compatible with OS X on Bluetooth)
- Wahoo RPM Speed Sensor
- Wahoo KICKR
- Wahoo KICKR Snap
The Viiiiva bridge can not be used at this time. We will look at integration after January. 4iiii power meters are compatible.
The 4iiii power meter works with the Sufferfest Training Center but double reports power at this time.
We only support the ANT+ heart rate belt on iOS and OS X. However, the ANT+ Suunto Heart belt will not work with our Windows App. The Suunto basic heart rate belt does not broadcast on an open ANT+ channel and doesn't work with any of our Apps.
- Suunto ANT Heart Rate Belt works for iOS and OS X only.
- Suunto Bluetooth HR Sensor works for iOS and OS X only.
- Suunto Speed and Cadence Sensor will work for all Apps.
We only support the Polar H7 HR strap. The previous Polar HR did not transmit data on an open ANT+ or Bluetooth channel.
- Polar H7 HR Strap Bluetooth (only compatible with iOS and Mac App)
- Polar Bluetooth Speed and Cadence Sensors (only compatible with iOS and Mac App)
We can connect to CycleOps sensors that are broadcasting over open ANT+ Channels. Please contact cycleops to see if your specific series of sensors is broadcasting an open ANT+ Signal.
- Cycleops HR Monitor
- Cyclops Speed/Cadence sensors
New version of the Panobike sensor are transmitting via Bluetooth 4.0 and are supported.
- Panobike HR Monitor (only compatible with iOS and Mac App)
- Panobike Speed and Cadence Sensor (only compatible with iOS and Mac App)
We support the Bontranger ANT+ sensors.
- Bontranger HR Monitor
- Bontranger Speed and Cadence sensor
- Bontranger DuoTrap
We support the Bluetooth enabled Jarv sensors.
- Jarv Bluetooth 4.0 Cycling Speed and Cadence Sensor (only compatible with iOS and Mac App)
- Jarv Run BT Premium Bluetooth 4.0 Smart Heart Rate Sensor (only compatible with iOS and Mac App)
BRAGI DASH Headphones
The Sufferfest Training Centre is compatible with the Bragi Dash Headphones. Users must make sure they are using the left earphone to pair the Bluetooth Heart Rate sensor. The right earphone is used to pair the audio.
PowerMeters (* indicates via ANT+ connection only. Bluetooth Smart not currently supported for those models)
- *SRM (See Special Notes below)
- *Garmin Vector (Vector 2S is not supported)
- *Pioneer (See Special notes Below)
- PowerTap C1
- *PowerTap P1 (Currently not supported on BLE yet)
- *Brim Brothers
- 4iiii (Currently Double Reports Power)
- *Verve Info Crank
- Any ANT+ or BLTE Power Meter
The Garmin Vector 2S, 4iiii, and PowerTap P1S are all currently double reporting power. We will have a fix for that sometime in June - August 2017.
(Special Notes) SRM is currently only "conditionally" supported, and then only with more recent models. Some of the newer SRM models may broadcast power-only messages that can be read by The Sufferfest app. Older SRM models only broadcast CTF (Crank Torque Frequency) messages that The Sufferfest app does not support. We will look at integration later in 2017.
(Special Notes) Pioneer units operate in two modes, Pedal Monitor Mode and Power Meter Mode. The Sufferfest Training Centre cannot read the unit if it is in Pedal Monitor Mode, only the Cyclocomputer can read that code. You will need to put your Pioneer in Power Meter Mode. That will have it transmit a standard power meter signal over ANT+. To change the mode you need to press and hold the white button that sits below the coin battery until it flashes (about 2secs).
Questions? Comments? Contact us at TheMinions@TheSufferfest.com