Before you do your first Sufferfest workout, you'll need to enter some personal details so the app knows who you are, what your fitness level is and what platforms you'd like to share workouts to. You can do this on the 'Settings' page, accessed from the top navigation of the app.
4DP™ or FTP?
You can run a workout using the Standard FTP or the new 4DP™ profile. You can manually set the 4DP™ but it is not recommended and you will not get a rider type/profile. We highly recommend doing the Fitness Test: Full Frontal and the App will automatically set your targets for you. The App also has a Full Frontal Taper plan in the training plan page of the App. Just navigate to the Road Training Plans and it will be the first one listed. You can navigate to our Four Dimensional Power Training Resources page to find all the help articles and web page links.
MEASUREMENT, GENDER AND WEIGHT
- Do you speak miles or kilometers? Be sure to indicate "Imperial" or "Metric" measurements.
- Select your gender
- Input your weight. *Rider weight and Gender is needed before you enter the Full Frontal Workout.
Be sure to select the wheel size that applies to your bike/trainer. If you have an Elite Trainer, pick the corresponding Elite trainer for a specific wheel size. (Elite Trainer Connection Article) For all other wheel off SMART trainers, pick the default wheel size.
SET YOUR CURRENT FITNESS LEVEL (4DP™, FTP, LTHR)
If you're going to train with heart rate, virtual or real power, then the app needs to know how fit you are. The app does this through two different metrics. They are:
- 4DP: This is the best training experience possible. It stands for Four Dimensional Power™ and is your power across Neuromuscular Power (NM), Anaerobic Capacity (AC), Maximal Aerobic Power (MAP), and Functional Threshold Power (FTP). *You must do the Full Frontal Fitness Test to set these values
- FTP: This is for virtual and real power. It stands for "Functional Threshold Power" and is your sustainable maximum power you hold for one hour.
- LTHR: This is for heart rate and stands for Lactate Threshold Heart Rate. It is 98% of your average heart rate during the 20 minute portion of the test.
When the app knows your values, it can set personalised power and heart rate targets for every workout.
- We recommend doing the Fitness Test: Full Frontal to assess your 4DP™ metrics. If you just want to train the old way with FTP, you can enter an FTP number and train that way.
- If you don't know your values, then the app will just use a default FTP value of 200 watts (150 watts on iOS). You can ride using these defaults, although the workouts won't be personalised to your fitness levels and you won't be getting the most effective workout. Keep in mind you can adjust the intensity in the workout by tapping the screen and adjusting up or down to better dial in the workout.
- If you want to know your values, then you just need to do the 'Full Frontal' fitness test video in the app. After finishing that video, the app will automatically will calculate your Four Dimensional Profile™.
Want to learn more?
- Four Dimensional Power™ Training Resources
- What The Heck is FTP, TSS, IF, and LTHR?
- How Do You Calculate LTHR?
- Download the RPE to FTP Mapping sheet (for old FTP users)
CONNECTING TO OTHER ACCOUNTS
You can also connect to Strava, Training Peaks, Garmin Connect and your Email account in the settings page. Just click the logos and enter your details. You can stop sharing at any time by un-ticking the logos.
If you are having difficulties connecting to Strava, Training Peaks, or Garmin Connect try using a different web browser. Some users have had problems with the Chrome browser. Using Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Safari works very easily. Still having issues? Check out the Article, "Sharing to Strava, Training Peaks, and Emails".
In the download section you can see the amount of memory used by the downloaded videos. You can delete videos from the main video list or in the workout setup screen by selecting "stream". You need 1.5 times the space of a downloaded video to finish a download. That means if you want to download a 1gb video, you need 1.5gb of free space available. You can download as many videos as you want.
MANAGING YOUR SUBSCRIPTION
The Subscription section lets you know when your subscription is due and if it is still active. You can cancel, upgrade or downgrade your subscription from here. Are you having problems logging in right now? Are you getting some sort of error message? Check out the article, "Fixing Log In Errors."