Internet wasn't as important when we used to offer up Sufferfest Videos for download in and open .mp4 format. However, the Pirates of the Couchlandrian Sea kept stealing our videos and sharing them with the entire internet for free. This has led us down a path where we have to protect our property through an app subscription so Couchlandria doesn't win.
What is the Minimum Internet Connection Required?
The Minimum speed we require is 5 megabytes per second (5mbps). You can check your internet download speed by going to www.speedtest.net. How did we set that benchmark? Our videos are formatted and streaming at 4kbps which means a 5mbps connection should be enough to get what you need. However, it just takes a bit longer if you are operating down at 10mbps or less.
When Do I Need To Be Connected To The Internet?
There are a few instances where we have to connect to the Internet. Most of this is just to validate your subscription, download a video, or update the App. You can operate without an internet connection very easily. Below are the times when The Sufferfest Training Centre needs an internet connection.
- When you first sign up for the App. We validate your subscription.
- When you log out of the App, the App will need an internet connection to log back in. The only way to log out of the App is to manually log out. Even if you shut your computer or iDevice down, you will stay logged in.
- When you need to download a video.
- When you stream a video, we do a quick check for a valid subscription. You will need a internet connection to stream videos anyways.
- When you want to share your suffering with the rest of the world to Strava, Training Peaks, or your Email.
These are the only times you need an Internet Connection. You can download the videos and stay offline until the App needs to check for your subscription. We send a subscription token to the App when it talks to the server, so monthly subscribers only need an internet connection the day their monthly subscription expires. The yearly subscribers will only do a subscription check once a year.
If you are getting any subscription errors, or denials of download, please reference the "Video Seeking and Download/Streaming Solutions" article. Lastly, you can email TheMinions@TheSufferfest.com to validate your subscription and just make sure everything is working correctly on the server.